At Alexandrite Publishing, LLC, we strive to provide high quality, effective educational resources to meet the needs of today’s teachers.
“I can . . . just see pure academic growth in terms of thoughtfulness and attention to detail.” (Student testimonial)
About Our Founder
Andrea has been trusted with curriculum development by:
- Prince William County Schools
- Reading & Writing Initiatives
- Virtual Learning
- Virginia Department of Education
- US Department of State
- Virginia Declarations of Learning
Andrea is excited to be facilitating the Northern Virginia Host Site for the 2022 Write Across America event presented by the National Writing Project.
What began as a growing awareness that traditional formula-based approaches to writing instruction were not effective for most students, our founder, Andrea Yarbough, sought ways to implement new approaches to the teaching of writing. She found the solution in Writing Wednesdays, weekly creative writing explorations that are designed specifically to target core ELA skills.
When her school district implemented four-day per week instruction during virtual learning, Andrea realized that she could, in fact, dedicate one instructional day to creative writing, reserving the other four days for more traditional lessons. After developing enough lesson plans to cover a full-year of weekly instruction, her first book, Artfulness, was born and with it, a range of educational resources designed to support teachers.
Providing Real-World Solutions for Real-World Teachers
Because our resources are created by a full-time teacher, they are designed to meet the needs of real-world classrooms. We are happy to offer:
- A range of books and lesson plans, including our own book, Artfulness: Formula-Free Creative Writing Explorations for Secondary ELA Classes
- Professional development opportunities
- Downloadable instructional resources
- Supportive membership community for teachers and writers
- An educator blog exploring instructional best-practices