In this writing activity, students are introduced to one or more locations of interest. Then, they are offered a series of related prompts to select from as invitations to write. The sample slide decks feature locations from around the Commonwealth of Virginia, a state rich with history and adventure. However, the content can easily be swapped out to better reflect your instructional goals. This versatile resources if great for both ELA classes and writing-across-the-curriculum initiatives.
This resource pack includes:
- A detailed description and abstract of the activity
- Suggested “remix” options that allow you to easily customize the lesson to suit your needs
- Slide Deck containing:
- An opening pre-write
- A focused writing topic that offers three separate, but related, writing opportunities
- A closing quick-write
- Teacher notes to aid with delivery
- Suggested unit integration
- Three suggested extension activities which could lead to summative assessments targeting:
- Multimedia research presentations
- Narrative or nonfiction writing assessments
- Writing-across-the-curriculum suggestions
Your can explore a preview of the key writing focuses for each journey by clicking here.