Support Your Teachers with Engaging Professional Development
Our teacher-centered programs empower educators with the skills and tools needed to bring effective strategies into their classrooms. The interactive format of our workshops ensures that participants have an opportunity to engage in meaningful discussions and activities, learning through engagement rather than lecture. Explore our professional development workshops below or click “get started” to begin the journey.
Professional Development Workshops
Beyond the 5-Paragraph Essay
In this workshop, teachers learn how to provide students with writing scaffolds that do not rely on formulaic structures, cultivating critical thinking skills for our students.
Writing Wednesday Workshop
Participants discover how creative writing activities can be integrated into core ELA instruction to support literacy goals, emphasizing the role of authorial choice in writing.
Combining UDL and blended learning, participants learn how to integrate book clubs in a range of learning situations including in-person and hybrid formats to improve student outcomes.
Inspired Curriculum Design
Designed for both novice and experienced teachers, this workshop provides educators with strategies for effective and efficient lesson designing, allowing teachers to reclaim more personal time.
Grading Systems for Highly Effective Teachers
Grading student work can be a time-intensive process. This workshop teaches educators how to implement grading systems that allow for quicker grading without sacrificing the quality of student feedback.
All Aboard: Universal Design in the Classroom
In this workshop, participants will learn the foundations of UDL and then conduct an audit of existing lesson and unit plans in order to determine ways to provide greater equity and improve student outcomes.
Developed and Led by National Board Certified Teacher, Andrea Yarbough
Teacher and author, Andrea Yarbough, has worked with organizations such as the Virginia Association of Teachers of English, Go Open VA, and the Virginia Department of Education to develop workshops and curriculum initiatives to improve student outcomes. Contact us today to see how she can support your teachers.
I could have listened and discussed much longer!
[I enjoyed the] focus on small steps and strategies to implement immediately in my classroom [and the] applicable strategies to take back with me.
I feel that others would benefit [from your workshop] just as I have.
Useful strategies and ideas that I can start using right away.
Wish it was longer!
I would recommend [your workshop] to my 9-12 colleagues...
I enjoyed it all!
I found this refreshing and useful.
It was great!
I would recommend your lesson because it is practical and helpful.
Enjoyed the “turn and talk” format
This session was relevant and timely.
Practical and manageable strategies that can be adapted to any grade level.
I wish you had more time
Easy straightforward examples that feel like less work for teachers, but will get more from the kids.
I thought it was great!
The strategies to assess efficiently were super helpful!
Where You’ve Seen Us
- March 18, 2023: Secondary Schools Writing Center Association Conference
- Creatively Centered Workshop
- March 11, 2023: National Writing Project in the South Conference
- So Stylish: How Punctuation and Text Features Develop Your Message
- March 2023: Northern Virginia Writing Project Conference
- March into Writing Four-Week Virtual Workshop
- February 25, 2023: Virtual Virginia Blended Learning Conference
- Book Blends: Book Clubs, UDL, and Technology in the Classroom
- February 11, 2023: Northern Virginia Writing Project—ScribbleCon
- Story Swap Creative Writing Workshop
- January 21, 2023: Northern Virginia Writing Project Professional Development Workshop
- Writing Wednesday Workshop
- Beyond the 5-Paragraph Essay
- Teachers as Writers
- October 27 – 29, 2022: Louisville Book Festival
- October 7, 2022: Virginia Association of Teachers of English Conference
- Beyond the 5-Paragraph Essay
- July 12, 2022: National Writing Project
- Write Across America: Discover Virginia